Thursday, June 4, 2015

Cycle 2

The long week of cycle 2 of my chemotherapy is coming to a close.  The fatigue is worse.  I'm more exhausted than I ever remember being.

I'm sitting in the chair right now, I just woke up after about an hour long nap.  I was disoriented for a few minutes, wondering why I was waking up in an uncomfortable chair in a room that has the unmistakable smell of sterility, sanitizes, and chemicals.

I'm undeniably retaining water, I've gained approximately 15 lbs since I started chemo, which I suppose is somewhat extra-ordinary.  My appetite hasn't diminished a whole lot and I drink water like it's my job.

The second long week is certainly taking its toll.  I talked with a woman today who is shaving her head on Saturday.  She isn't ready for it.  It is shocking.  I shaved my head in anticipation, to attempt to blunt the effect.  I've embraced the new look, but damn do I miss my hair.  And watching it fall out was a lot harder than I've admitted, particularly since I've always had hair.

But, I feel as if I'm about to turn a corner.  After tomorrow, there's only one more long week.  After tomorrow, there are only 5 more weeks.  I've almost hit the top of the hill, and walking back down will be dramatically easier.  

No comments:

Post a Comment