Sunday, July 5, 2015

End In Sight

Tomorrow is my last long day of chemotherapy.  The last day I have the privilege of being pumped full of Cisplatin and Etoposide.  The last day I sit in a chair for hours, just waiting to be done.  After that there are only two more Bleomyicin injections, one of which is supposedly coming up on Tuesday.

When it's all said and done, I will be a week shy of having been in chemotherapy for three months.  I haven't worked, honestly I haven't really been able to on any kind of reliable basis.  I've read a lot, watched a lot of TV, played some video games, ate, slept, and had a lot of time to sit and ruminate.

This past week in particular has been filled with a lot of introspection.  I'm nearing the end of a journey that at just shy of 25 years of age, caused me to come face to face with my own mortality.  I joked early on that I had gotten the golden ticket of cancer, and statistically that still remains true.  But, I still have (soon will have had) cancer, that's a big deal.  That's a huge deal.

Now, I'm going to try and figure out what I've learned from all of the last 8 months (remember, I first went into the ER for sharp pain on December 29th).  I've elected to try and contain it into 5 large themes, of which I will write about and publish over the next 5 days.

By it's very nature, an experience like this couldn't leave me unchanged.  I'm excited to read what I've learned.  

No comments:

Post a Comment